Wednesday, November 26, 2008

We are learning day by day

Well, we have been home with Matthew for one week now. He is doing quite well. He has no trouble sleeping and has a hearty appetite. Every day is a new adventure. The honeymoon is over now and now the kids are fighting.
Matthew is learning new english words all the time. Sometimes he says "it's okay!". He knows his numbers to 20 and his colors. He will speak in spanish sentences but use one random english word in the sentence. Today he told me the trees were "mucho yellow". He says please and thank you. He seems to understand some of the things I say. We fight about clothing all the time. He never wants to wear what I pick out. He rattles off in spanish and I just tell him no..you are wearing this! We have small struggles and most involve the language barrier. Things are going well. The major problems I am having at this time are not because of Matthew, but because of the combination of the 3 children. They are a handful as a group!
Today I took him to Walmart. He has never seen such a place. He seemed mezmerized by all the STUFF! Next week he will start school, but he keeps telling me NO ESCUELA. Again, yes you are going to school!
I have seen a change in Matthew. He seems very happy here. I have never seen him smile and laugh so much. We put him on a bike with training wheels and he wasn't sure what to do. He had never seen a bike before. He loves it and is doing very well with it.
He loves to take baths now. It used to be "all business" in the tub, but now he sees the other kids play toys and put bubbles in the tub and he loves it.
Last night was the first night he came into our room crying. He must have had a bad dream. He kept saying (in spanish) he didn't want to go to "Guate" (I think this means Guatemala city). Todd asked him if he wanted to stay with Papi forever and he said "SI".

3 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Todd and Amber,

I loved reading your update today!!! Just now as I was putting my son to sleep I was thinking again about what you wrote. I wondered if maybe Matthew is thinking "No Escula" because he mistakenly thinks school is his old school and that there is the possibility that that is where he is going next week. If so maybe he's worried.

We're hoping Juan is home by Christmas and then we can compare notes!

Jen Wagner
PS
We love the music on your site.

Ana said...

Hey there guys!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!! I am thankful to God that Matthew is home with you guys.

I know that it's tough and the older they are when they come home, the more the child has to deal with.

Guate -- that is Guatemala. He might be scared that he is going to get sent back or that this is only temperary.

Also -- he might be freightened that you are going to leave him at school and not pick him up again or that school is equivalent to an orphanage.

And he might be scared that with the "fighting" that well...he is the obvious choice to be dumped on the street -- last one in, first one out.

I know you guys are loving on your Matthew! Keep on loving on him and reassuring him.

Big hug to all of you!!!!

Kim said...

I understand the learning day by day. Every day it gets better and easier. Can't wait to hear more. Happy Thanksgiving!